What is the Tobacco Products Directive?
The TPD refers to rules for nicotine-containing electronic cigarettes and refill containers introduced on the 20th May 2016 by the EU. The rules are described in Article 20, these apply to the UK and EU member states.
How will this affect consumers?
On 20th May 2017, TPD came into full effect. This means that;
– Refill bottles must be restricted to a maximum of 10mL
– Nicotine strength of e-liquids must not exceed 20mg/ml or 2%.
Do VDL products meet the standards of TPD?
Absolutely, a lot of time and effort has been channelled into attaining TPD compliancy. We ensure that our manufacturing process utilises only the highest quality ingredients, none of our liquids containing any banned ingredients such as:
– Pentane 2,3 dione
– Substances classified as carcinogenic, mutagenic or reprotoxic (CMR) class 1 or 2
– Substances classified with organ toxicity of the lungs (STOT category 1)
– Vitamins used as food supplements
– Diethylene glycol
– Ethylene glycol
Have the products been notified?
Yes, all the nicotine products that we manufacture are fully notified with the MHRA and respective EU bodies. The notification process required the submission of;
– Toxicity reports
– Emission reports
– Production quality reports
– Packaging in accordance with CLP labelling
– Nicotine dose consistency
Are these rules subject to change?
Not likely, however, some member states in the EU are taking a more-strict approach to TPD (such as allowing only tobacco flavour). We have a dedicated compliance team, it is their job to ensure that products intended for UK or cross-border sale are compliant and meet the legislation of the destination.
If you have any further questions regarding TPD or our products, do not hesitate to email us on email@example.com